Tortilla Flat - Quiz Questions
1) Tortilla Flat is in what city in California?
D) San Diego
2) Danny inherits two houses from whom?
A) his grandfather
B) his grandmother
C) his mother
D) his godfather
3) Who is the first friend Danny "rents" the house to?
B) The Pirate
C) Jesus Maria
4) How does Danny feel when his second house burns down?
A) he is angry
B) he is relieved
C) he doesn't care
D) the house does not burn down
5) How many dogs does The Pirate have?
6) Why is Pilon looking for treasure on St. Andrew's Eve?
A) he wants to give the treasure to Danny as a thank you
B) he wants to keep it for himself
C) he is going to donate it to the church
D) he does not say
7) What does Danny give to "Sweets" Ramirez as a present that causes her to become the talk of the town?
A) a toaster
B) a refrigerator
C) a vacuum cleaner
D) a new house
8) The Caporál wants his baby to become a generál when he grows up so that he can get revenge on the superior officer who stole his wife:
9) Which of the friends is the least loyal to the group throughout the novel?
B) Big Joe
D) The Pirate
10) What does the pirate want to use his gold coins to buy for San Francisco?
A) a pie
B) a gold crucifix
C) a rosary
D) a gold candlestick
11) Teresina Cortez feeds her nine children a steady diet of:
12) What do Danny and his friends use to tell time?
C) the sun
D) both a and b
13) What member of the group begins to feel tied down and goes on a rampage?
C) Jesus Maria
14) What does Danny do that Pilon calls "a crime against friendship" (147)?
A) burns down the house
B) steals The Pirate's money
C) steals Pilon's shoes
D) kicks everyone out of the house
15) How much does Torrelli say Danny sold him the house for?
A) 100 dollars
B) 20 dollars
C) 25 dollars
D) 35 dollars
16) What do the friends do in order to get money to pay for Danny's party?
A) sell their clothes
B) pack squids
C) beg for money
D) work for Torrelli
17) At the party, when Danny yells "Who will fight?…Is there no one left in the world who is not afraid?" what is he brandishing in his hand (164)?
A) a table-leg
B) a baseball bat
C) a knife
D) a gun
18) Danny's friends attend his funeral service at the church:
19) What happens to Danny's house at the end of the novel?
A) it is sold
B) a relative of Danny's moves in
C) the friends stay there
D) it burns to the ground
20) After Danny's death, the group dismantles: