Harvest Gypsies - Short Answer Study Questions
- Steinbeck described the migrant workers as the new gypsies. What did he mean by that?
- How does Steinbeck define human dignity?
- What factors lead to the migrants being easy targets for exploitation once they arrive in California?
- Steinbeck describes a progression of events that break the migrants' spirits. What are those events?
- According to Steinbeck, how do the small farmers' and larger growers' attitudes towards labor differ? Explain the different treatment the migrants receive from the two groups.
- Why are the migrants unsuccessful at seeking public aid from the government?
- What practices to growers use to discourage labor organization among the migrant workers?
- Explain the importance of community interaction and responsibility in restoring the migrants' dignity.
- How does Steinbeck say the surrounding counties only hurt themselves by refusing to deal with the migrant problem in a practical and rational manner?
- According to Steinbeck, how does vigilante violence undermine established, lawful